New Year, No Excuses: 20 Minute HIIT Workout
Posted by Natalie on
WOO!! 2020 is FINALLY over, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t keep growing and challenging yourself… SO, it’s time to talk about New Year’s Resolutions 🙌 Research has shown that some of the most common resolutions are losing weight, exercising more and being healthier, so we bet that at least one of those is on your list. However, research has ALSO shown that most resolutions are usually dropped around mid-January when things start to get real… BUT don’t get discouraged! The good news is that PLENTY of people stick to their goals and go on to achieve incredible results. The question is, will you be one of them? 💪
If your goals are losing weight and exercising more, you TOTALLY can and will achieve your goals if you focus on keeping things simple! Getting in shape doesn’t have to be a major project. You can simply make some lifestyle changes and start out with small steps, like taking the Boombod 7 Day Challenge to kickstart your weight loss! The key is to do things that work for YOU and being consistent. After all, progress is better than perfect!
SO, what better way to achieve your weight loss goals than by doing short full-body home workouts that you can modify over time as your body adapts to your evolving level of fitness? Well, we’ve got you covered! If you’re not ready for the gym life just yet, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a fast, simple and beginner friendly way to jumpstart your New Year’s Resolutions at home AND we came up with a KILLER sequence just for YOU! HIIT involves exercising vigorously for a short period of time followed by a shorter rest period. The idea is to push your body to the limit and rev up your metabolism so that it keeps burning calories long after your workout is done!
Why High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)?
- Better than LISS (Low Intensity Steady State Cardio) at building endurance, speed and flexibility.
- Full body conditioning with compound movements to strengthen and shape the body.
- Burns more calories in a shorter amount of time and speeds up your metabolism.
- Less time spent exercising and more time planning your meals (abs are made in the kitchen!) and taking your Boombod shots💥
- No equipment needed (optional).
- You can easily switch from beginner to advanced exercises as needed... The possibilities are endless!
OK babe, are you ready? This SUPER quick workout consists of a mix of compound bodyweight exercises to increase your heart rate AND target multiple muscle groups at the same time so you can do MORE in less time! Here’s how it works:
- 30:15 ratio - Do each exercise non-stop for 30 seconds, getting in as many reps as possible, and then rest for 15 seconds before moving on to the next one! Simple, right?
- 3 Sets - Do the whole sequence three times in a row, with a rest period of 1 minute between sets.
- This sequence can be done 3-4 times a week and until your body gets comfortable enough to kick it up a notch by doing the modifications outlined below.
- Important: Resting doesn’t mean sitting or lying down, keep jogging in place to keep your body fired up!
Ready, Set, go!
- Stand upright with your legs together and arms at your sides.
- Bend your knees and jump into the air.
- Spread your legs shoulder-width apart as you jump.
- Stretch your arms out over your head.
- Jump back to the starting position and repeat.
- Sit with bent knees and arms.
- Press your feet firmly into the floor.
- Sit back slightly while keeping your spine straight.
- Exhale as you twist to the left, bringing your right arm over to the left side.
- Inhale back and move to the center
- Do the same on the opposite side.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Lift up your left knee to your chest and then switch to lift your right knee to your chest.
- Alternate legs as fast as you can.
- Get down on all fours and straighten your arms and legs, placing your hands slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Lower your body until your chest almost touches the floor.
- Pause, push yourself back up and repeat.
- Get into a plank position.
- Pull your right knee into your chest as far as you can, then switch legs, pulling one knee out and bringing the other knee in.
- Keep your hips down, run your knees in and out as far and as fast as you can.
- Alternate inhaling and exhaling with each leg change.
- Lie down on your back and place both arms on your sides.
- Lift your upper body and touch your left leg with your right hand while keeping your left arm in place but slightly bent at the elbow.
- Do this for 15 seconds and then switch to the other side.
- Start by standing up tall.
- Step forward with one foot until your leg reaches a 90-degree angle.
- Lift your front lunging leg to return to the starting position.
- Repeat with the other leg until the 30 seconds are up.
- Put your elbows directly beneath your shoulders.
- Maintain a straight body line from head to heels.
- Squeeze your butt, the fronts of your thighs and flex your abs.
- Maintain this position for the whole 30 seconds.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Hinge at the hips to push your butt back and lower down until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Bend your knees 45 degrees when you land, and immediately drop back down into a squat, then jump again.
- Lie face up on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Keep your arms at your side with your palms down.
- Lift your hips off the ground until your knees, hips and shoulders form a straight line.
- Ease back down and repeat.
Beginners: Use your bodyweight only and adjust exercise to rest ratio. For example, the default for this workout is 2:1, meaning you will do each exercise for 30 seconds and rest for 15 seconds. For every work period there is a rest period that lasts half as much and this is the easiest variable to modify. If you feel ready for a more advanced workout, see modifiers below.
Advanced: Add dumbbells, barbells, exercise bands or medicine balls. Adjust the exercise to rest ratio to make the rest time shorter or pick up the pace.
Warm-up modifiers: If you want to switch things up, use a jump rope or run up and down the stairs for a couple of minutes before starting your workout!
Cool-down tip: Do Supermans to balance your core, front and back kicks or circle side lunges to open up the hips.
AND that’s a wrap! Want everything you need to start SMASHING your goals right NOW? Get the Boombod Starter Kit which ALSO includes the Boombod 7 Day Challenge Workout & Meal Plan and a shaker bottle completely FREE, plus it’s 25% OFF 🙌 Keep in mind that you can’t outrun a bad diet, so make sure to change up your eating habits for best results and to help tackle that sweet tooth, be sure to incorporate Boombod shots in any flavour (now on BOGO Free!) so you can CRUSH cravings and still feel like you’re treating yourself!
Oh, and don’t forget to take before and after photos and send them to us! We can’t wait to see your results 💕
*Prior to participating in vigorous exercise, speak with your GP or a medical professional if you have concerns or a medical condition.