At Home Tips To Kick Cravings
Posted by Danielle on
If anyone ever tells you they don’t get cravings...FIND OUT THEIR SECRETS...because it’s not very common. Most of us have a hard time managing our cravings for snacks, sweets and treats. For some it’s the evening time that is the most challenging, for others, it’s the afternoon sweet spot between lunch and dinner. Everyone is different, so when do your cravings strike? We’re sharing tips to kick them to the curb, no matter what time of day they show up👇
Where Do Cravings Come From?
Did you know that cravings for sugar and salt originally began in the early stages of life where by nature we, as humans, were driven to hunt and search for salt, sugar and fat to help sustain our energy levels? It was perfectly fine to overindulge all those years ago as we weren’t aware of where our next meal was coming from. Fast forward to today, our cravings for the same things still exist, however we have access to food each day, meaning we have the opportunity to overindulge on a daily basis.
It’s incredibly easy to lose track of the calories we’re consuming, especially given our current circumstances of working/doing everything from home. The refrigerator is the new water cooler and the cupboard? Well, let’s just say those bottomless caverns are our new favourite co-worker Susan, and she’s SUPER fun to talk to.
Stop to think about it, if you can iron out the most frequent time you’re feeling like you need a tasty pick me up, you can actually prepare to deal with those cravings instead of grabbing the closest treat bar, cookie or cupcake.
Tips To Avoid Cravings
One of the most effective ways to help avoid cravings is to plan your meals ahead of time. We’ve all heard the advice “don’t go grocery shopping when you’re hungry”...you’ll end up with cheetos, bacon wrapped everything and bagel bites. The same principle applies to when we’re tired and hungry and have no healthy options available to us in the fridge. YES, we need to get a little more creative with meals now that it’s not as easy to run out and pick up what’s missing for a recipe. But there are a few things you can do that require minimal effort and make a BIG difference.
1. Drink Water. Sometimes being thirsty can be confused for feeling hungry. When you feel a craving coming on, down a glass of water first! Wait 30 minutes and see how you feel.
2. Distance Yourself From the Craving. This means minimizing the amount of salty, sweet and fatty snacks you’re picking up at the store. Load up on healthy granola bars and celery/carrot sticks instead.
3. Plan Your Meals. We’ve said it before and we will say it again...having prepared meals in the fridge will make meal time simple AND healthy. There are tons of easy recipes on the Boomblog!
4. Avoid Getting TOO Hungry. No one should be starving themselves on purpose just to lose weight. Another reason cravings come around is because your body is telling you something. Listen to it, but adapt and choose ready made, healthier options!
5. Get Enough Sleep. Yes, being at home has its benefits. Are you giving yourself a pass to stay up a little later because you can sleep in? Maybe you’re napping more than usual. Don’t lose track of your usual sleep habits and try to enforce a strict bedtime. Your body (and the scale) will thank you!
6. Try a Weight Management Aid. When your cravings are out of control, it’s time to get back on track and QUICK. Boombod is designed to help banish naughty cravings, reduce bloating, leaving you feeling full AND help you to lose weight*!
We know losing AND maintaining weight is tough. BUT taking control of your cravings is the first step to feeling IN control of your weight loss journey. Why not start by taking the Boombod 7 Day Challenge and coming out of self-isolation Summer Bod ready? You got this! 💥